The Samaritan Befrienders Hong Kong (SBHK) has been providing suicide prevention services for over 50 years. We understand how difficult it is for someone with emotional distress. They may feel like trapped in darkness, depressed, or even hopeless in life, and give up their lives by committing suicide.
Therefore, we organize "From Darkness to Sunrise" City Orienteering Competition every year since 2014, with the aim of promoting the use of positive mindset on dealing with difficulties, at the same time raising fund for our Life Education programmes.
Through the competition, participants have to make judgements and choose the best way through the terrain and reach various checkpoints. Different skillsets would be tested in different situations. In addition to problem solving skills and endurance on the individual level, team communication and cooperation skills would also be tested.
Just as real life, we need partners on overcoming different challenges that come across our path. Finally, participants can admire the nature of beauty at the finish line: the sunrise that symbolizes the hopefulness in our life. The competition aims at promoting the message "Cherish Life, Live Positive”.
Routes are categorized with different time limit, 9-hour, 6-hour and 4-hour. The score carried by each control would be assigned according to its difficulty to obtain. The team that returns to the finishing line within the time limit with highest scores will be the winner. When multiple teams obtained the same score, the team reaching the finishing line soonest will be the winner.
|Date||9-10 September, 2017 (Sat & Sun)|
From 2100 (9 Sep) to 0700 (10 Sep)
9-hour：2100 (may change)
& Finishing Line
|Kwun Tong Promenade|
|Dress Code||Event T-shirts will be distributed to all participants on the briefing session. For Best Costume Competition participants, feel free to show your creativity through mix & match or even your design sense on our T-shirts.|
|Available from 1930. (No valuable items should be stored)|
|Quota||2,000 (first come first served)|
|Deadline||16 August 2017 (on or before 23:59)|
|Time Limit||Team||No. in Team||Age||Minimum Donations (Per Head)|
|9 - Hours||Male||Female||Mixed||2||
18 or above
|6 - Hours||Male||Female||Mixed||2||18 or above||HK$600|
|4 - Hours||Male||Female||Mixed||2 - 4||10 or above*||HK$500|
|Tertiary (any combination)||2 - 4||Current tertiary students||HK$400|
|Enterprise (any combination)||2 - 4||18 or above||HK$700|
|Family (any combination)||2 - 4||
Must have one member aged 10 or below*
(both child and adult)
**Parent’s or guardian’s consent and disclaimer is required for participants below 18; participants aged 15 or below must be accompanied by parent/guardian as team member; every team leader has to be 18 or above.
1) The Samaritan Befrienders Hong Kong (SBHK) may stop accepting application before deadline without prior notice once the quota is met.
2) Enrollment is confirmed only if the minimum donation amount is met by 2359 on 16 August, 2017. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of enrollment. Registration fee and donation will not be refunded.
3) SBHK has the final authority on deciding the acceptance of application and the arrangement of the competition.
4) If the event is cancelled due to adverse weather or any other reason, registration fees and donations will not be refunded.
|Route||Participants would only know the starting point and finishing line prior to the competition day. The distribution of controls would only be shown on the competition map, which will be provided at registration on the competition day.|
|Starting Point & Finishing Line||
Kwun Tong Promenade(Award ceremony and band show will be held at the Promenade after the competition)
|Controls||Controls with different scores are distributed within the competition area, participants are expected to obtain the highest score within the time limit.|
|Time||From 2:30 am to 6:00am (10 September 2017)|
|Venue||Kwun Tong Promenade|
1. Free of charge for Runners
2. HK$180 minimum per head will be charged as donation for general public
3. To reduce the noise problem to resident, we will arrange FM channel to broadcast the concert if necessary. Please bring along with your radio and headphone for the concert.
|Fundraising Awards||Donations will be counted on team basis and participants have to submit the donations by 5pm on 4 September, 2017 (Monday)|
|Best Costume Award||
1. Best Costume Award is on team basis. Interested teams please tick "Participate in the Best Costume Award" on the application form or online application platform2. Every team member has to show his/her own creativity on styling, and matches with the theme “staying enthusiastic when facing challenges”
3. Teams have to register at the "Best Costume Award Registration Counter" and be judged by the styling panel
4. Our judges will determine the champion of the "Best Costume Award" and announce at the finishing line
5. We will present trophy of the "Best Costume Award" to the winning team on stage
|Certificates||Participants who finish the competition can download a certificate at the competition website|
|Competition Awards||There will be a champion, first runner-up and second runner-up for each category|